python-mpd2 is a Python library which provides a client interface for the Music Player Daemon.
Difference with python-mpd¶
python-mpd2 is a fork of python-mpd. While 0.4.x was backwards compatible with python-mpd, starting with 0.5 provides enhanced features which are NOT backward compatibles with the original python-mpd package. See Porting for more information.
The following features were added:
- Python 3 support (but you need at least Python 2.6)
- support for the upcoming client-to-client protocol
- support for new commands from MPD v0.17 (seekcur, prio, prioid, config, searchadd, searchaddpl) and MPD v0.18 (readcomments, toggleoutput)
- remove deprecated commands (volume)
- explicitly declared MPD commands (which is handy when using for example IPython)
- a test suite
- API documentation to add new commands (see Future Compatible)
- support for Unicode strings in all commands (optionally in python2, default in python3 - see Unicode Handling)
- configurable timeouts
- support for logging
- improved support for sticker
- improved support for ranges