Welcome to piston_mini_client’s documentation!
Piston_mini_client is a package that allows you to easily describe an
API provided by a Django server using django-piston that takes care of:
- Serializing call arguments and deserializing responses from the api. It
will deserialize json provided by Piston into light-weight objects.
- Making the http calls for you. You should be able to call a method on an
api object instead of having to fetch a particular URL.
- Provide a in-code description of your API. Developers should be able to
know your API by looking at the client code you provide.
Piston_mini_client is written with the following principles in mind:
- It should have a small set of dependencies. We depend on httplib2 mainly
because it provides caching, but you should not need to install a pile of
packages just to use a rest client. Other dependencies like oauthlib
and socks are only imported if you need to use oauth authentication or
support proxies, respectively.
- Errors should be informative. Backtraces should point you in the right
direction to solve your problem.
- The client library shouldn’t restrict the way you layout your API.
Piston_mini_client should be able to work with just about any rest api your
- There should be good documentation available. Clear code is great, and it
should be really easy to get started with a couple of simple examples, but
there should be documentation available explaining, amongst other things,
these principles. :)